Monday, January 13, 2014

A Puritan's Wife - Everything Now Makes Sense


Max Pemberton
A Puritan's Wife
New York: Dodd Mead & Co., 1896
Printer: University Press: John Wilson and Son, Cambridge, U.S.A.
Signed AM, under the blossom below the title on the front cover
Dimensions: 18.2 x 12.7 x 2.5 cm.


The binding for A Purtian's Wife (Dubansky entry 01-1), never made sense to me. I found two adaptations, but never the original cover. Recently, Richard Minsky sent me a photograph of it, but thankfully, I've just found a copy for my Morse collection. For more information see the previous post on this title.

Bound in golden-tan linen finish plain-weave cloth, possibly a reverse cloth. It is stamped in olive green and a dull red, with gold lettering. The endleaves are plain off-white laid paper. Top edge gilt, foredge and tail are untrimmed.





No comments:

Post a Comment