Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Custom Book Blankies - Treat Your Books Like Babies

 
 
I thought I'd take this opportunity to let blog readers know about a product I've designed and have been using with great success. If you are collecting or conserving 19th century publishers' bindings, such as those designed by Alice C. Morse -- or any rare or fragile book, you will want to protect them by using book cradles and supports. Safe book handling procecedures are neccessary for the long life of books. At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I have developed several styles of custom book supports and book weights that assist the reader and ensure that books can be safely read and displayed. As a conservator, I also use these to support books when I'm working on them.The supports I make are unique. I make two designs -- one design fits commercially available acrylic or foam book cradles and the other deisgn are a pair of long blankets that are used on their own, without cradles. Please see the Purchase Custom Book Supports page on this blog for details. If you have questions, or are interested in having these made for your collection, conservation lab or home library, please contact me at mindelldubansky@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment